Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oregon Coast - day two

This sleepy town of Cannon Beach reminds us of one of our favorite Southern California spots - Laguna Beach.

With a view of the famous haystack rock, you can walk the quaint streets with darling (troy's favorite word) shops and eateries around every corner.

{Haystack Rock - Cannon Beach, OR}

While there, we hit up the candy shop, of course!  Through the windows you can watch fresh saltwater taffy being made.  

Geppetto's Toys, which we wisely avoided entrance for fear our children would beg and whine for toys, then break into an irreversible meltdown upon hearing the word NO.

Up, up and Away Kites
We couldn't come to Oregon without getting a kite for the beach.  So many to choose from, but luckily the pricetags made it an easy decision!



Down to the beach to test out our new kite!

He loved it!  I can't wait for the next windy day at home to go again!

Amy, our sandcastle master, honed in on her sand sculpting skills.  I am pretty sure she'll be ready for this next year.

Everyone pitched in.

But from the beginning of Amy's castle construction, I could see Jack's wheels turning.  All he had in mind was sandcastle DESTRUCTION!  So given the green light, he and Finley had a stompfest!


Tucker (21 mo.) and Lucy (18 mo.)


I love these pictures of Lucy playing all by herself.  She is my little independent soul.

Wait.  I take that back.  This is my favorite.  
She is screaming at the birds at the top of her lungs.

The creation of Arial.


dinner?


We've always wanted to go to the east coast to see the grassy shorelines, but Oregon had it all.  This trip killed two birds with one stone!


I think we filled our family picture quota for the next 4 years.  Thanks Amy for these beautiful pictures.

The bird whisperer back at work.


Running down the sand dunes.  Who has the best form?

*note*  
We made the observation that Oregon beaches are much different than California.  Even on a 75 degree day, Troy noticed he was the only person over toddler age that had his shirt off and suit on.  People were fully clothed and flying kites, reading, riding horses, walking, etc.  Not nearly as many bikinis and artificial endowments, which I found somewhat refreshing.

6 comments:

Marie said...

First - Jack's form is flawless.

Secondly - I think the Oregon Coast is amazingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing such lovely pictures of a place I love.

Jay and Gwen Sessions said...

I am glad someone got the traditional burial in the sand...even if she was a cute mermaid. What great shots. Ali makes use of what is in the foreground-nice!!! I am sure Ali remembers (maybe not) the dunes at Florance (further down the coast) that were soooo steep-all she and the kids could do was fall down and roll down. Hopefully Jack and Lucy will remember-if not the Blog Log will rekindle these marvelous memories. Can't wait for day 3...etc.

heidi said...

I love all these pictures! This vacation is making me jealous as each day just seems to get better and better! Oregon is beautiful!

bBchronicles said...

These are such GREAT pictures! Such neat memories - the pics will always be there to remind you! Nice talent there, girl!

Ben and Shara said...

Hey ali, I know you have a birthday soon or just did, so I'm writing to send birthday wishes.

Happy Birthday!!
love ya,
S

cally said...

Okay, I think you know, at least I hope you know, but do you really know what an amazing photographer you are? Seriously?

You are an AMAZING photographer. I could look at your pictures for hours. I love them.

And I just have to say that the profile picture of heidi looks like Reese Witherspoon. I got excited for a second.