Thursday, August 11, 2011

Idaho - The Rodeo

Yee-Haw

On our first day in Idaho, we went to a small-town rodeo.

It was hot, dusty and smelled of manure just like you'd expect.
But it was unique in the fact that it was designed so that the kids could participate.

The Events:

Mutton Busting
Chase the Greased Pig
Stick Horse Races
Catch a Chicken and Take it Home
Egg Toss
Calf Dressing
3-Legged Race
Barrel Racing (for the more authentic rodeo-ers)


rodeo1
IMG_1040
IMG_1033

Singing the National Anthem
IMG_1064

It was a bit obvious we weren't country folk.
I pulled my "cowboy" hat out of our costume box before we left.

1051c
rodeo2

Mariah and Lexi preparing for the Egg Toss
IMG_1078
rodeo3

The Greased Pig Chase

I was really surprised that Jack held his own in this crowd of kids.
IMG_1169
rodeo4

Let's talk about Mutton Busting.

When my sister-in-law called to get our kids signed up for the events, I guess I didn't ask many questions about the nature of the events. I knew the kids rode sheep for Mutton Busting, but not in my wildest dreams did I think the sheep could maneuver so quickly. So we signed Lucy and Jack up.

Turns out those fluffy animals are quite fast and agile!

When I saw the other kids ride (then get tossed off like wet noodles), I knew Lucy was going to be blindsided by what was to come.

Here she is in the starting gate.
IMG_1071

Here she is 1.8 seconds later.
1073c

Let's just say us city folk can't take the heat. Those other country kids were tough as nails!
1076c
rodeo5

Depending on size, the older kids either rode a small cow or a large steer.
Here is Chloe trying her hand at Mutton Busting.
rodeo6

I was most impressed by Spencer's dismount. He went from this into a forward roll.
Very smooth, Spence!
IMG_1158

Three Legged Race
Mariah & Yasmin
rodeo7
IMG_1058

Calf Dressing

Where you literally chase a calf and then dress it in human clothes. Spencer sacrificed his own tee shirt for the event.
IMG_1143

All in all, it was a great way to kick off the Family Reunion!

1 comment:

HeatherM said...

poor little lu! great photo! as always!