Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mom...I'll be outside

We bought him a bike when he was 2.

He wasn't interested.

In fact, it wasn't until this last year that he started developing any interest in rideable toys at all.

Now, it's all he can think about. He's got a one track mind for his scooter and bigwheel.
(but still no interest in a two-wheeled bike)


Our day usually goes something like this...

6:30 am - "Can we ride scooters today?"
7:30 am - "I finished my breakfast, brushed my teeth, and put my shoes on. NOW can
we go outside?"
8 am - "Come oooonnnnnn, mommmmm!"
8:15 am - I hear garage door open and he's already out there cruising around.



I LOVE that he is passionate about this! It is so evident in his entire being that he is JOYOUS when he is out there riding.

Only problem is that the only place we have to ride is in our cul-de-sac in the front yard.
(which means I need to be there to supervise)

And the cul-de-sac we live on is down a big hill of which he has NO fear barreling down at full speeds.
(which means I REALLY need to be out there)

And sometimes I just want, no NEED, to do laundry, dishes, vacuuming, getting ready for baby, dusting, organizing, etc.
(which means that sometimes I really don't want to be out there)

But then I remember that these moments are fleeting. And really, laundry can wait. And so can the dishes.

Because truly, the happiness he gets from being outside riding is more reward for me than any other!



bigwheelscooter


BIGWHEEL vs. SCOOTER

* the bigwheel is best suited for riding down really steep driveways
*the scooter will provide the smoothest ride down the cul-de-sac
*the bigwheel is capable of some really SWEET spinout turns that make the rider look extra cool.
*the riding pose on the scooter is very laid-back, nonchalant looking that impresses the 8 year old neighborhood boys.
*the bigwheel seat leaves some pretty nasty bruises, but the scooter can crash and burn on bumps or rocks in the road leaving some gnarly knee scrapes to contend with.

8770bw

1 comment:

Jenny said...

This is when living in a crappy climate has its advantages.