Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thanksgiving in a nutshell

We hosted this motley crew + 2 parents.

They pitched in on the housework, fully entertained jack, complimented me on my cooking, and spent some serious time doing this:








Troy and I quickly realized that if only we could clone ourselves, the Thanksgiving dinner prep would be so much easier!



I had visions of sitting down to a table setting like this.  Of course all dressed in coordinating fall-festive sweaters and sports-coats.


Reality was...we worked all day sans showers and when we finally sat down to the table I realized I was still in my hoodie and pajama bottoms. 



It's called Rookies mistake.  Note to self:  Don't even enter the kitchen on Thanksgiving day until morning grooming has taken place.



Troy dreamed (dreamt, dreameded?) of seeing this on the table.  He so carefully prepared a flavorful brine 24 hours in advance to soak the bird in.  Then prepped it for the oven and strategically placed the thermometer in the thigh and waited for the ideal 160 degree temperature.  

And waited.  
...and waited.  
and then discovered 4 hours later that the thermometer was set to Celsius NOT fahrenheit!




It was a little bit of a flashback to Clark Griswald cutting into their Christmas turkey.  Poof...and it pulverizes on the table! 

Oh well...it was still the most flavorful dry meat I've ever tasted!


We certainly learned a LOT.  And I think we'd all agree that Thanksgiving is best spent with FAMILY!

11 comments:

shawna said...

Ali...How funny! Glad you all had a great Thanksgiving! in your oh so classy attire. ;D Family holidays can (and nearly always are) like that! Martha Stewart eat your heart out!

sheena said...

I am so happy you're back!

I love your thanksgiving, and olives in a bowl. and really, bras are overrated.

merideth said...

first you are so funny. and
wade has the same noshower fluff hair. gotta love it. are you guys staying put for the holidays??

and that picture of the kids is super good.

ali said...

Sheena.

Bras are totally overrated, especially when you don't have much to fill them.

Troy made me take that part out. Something about too much information...blah, blah, blah....

Jen Giorgis said...

Oh how funny...you just crack me up. Can't wait to hear more of the story. I love the pic of todd & holly's kids. Super cute!!!

P.S. We went out for dinner this year and it was fabulous. By fabulous I mean relaxing and stress free. The food was good, but not as good as if we had cooked. I still think I'd rather have the relaxing and stress free!

Ben and Shara said...

Thank goodness you are back, I was beginning to wonder if you caught what your kids had the week prior?

The event looks like a success and if you approach the eating table without being dressed isn't that also considered a success as well?

heidi said...

looks like you had a fun time...I didn't have to do a darn thing this year except bring the drinks and I will say it was very anti-climatic. Luke was a beast and I left early with him...And OLIVES?? My favorite, bowl or fingers--the best!

Garrett and Mindy Sessions said...

Scream laugh and wet my pants!! I love your Thanksgiving, crispy turkey and all. The only reason our turkey wasn't charred black is because your parents were there making most of the food. Phewwwww! I think you looked hot at Thanksgiving dinner.

SUMMER said...

WHere have you been? And cute top picture on the new post... love it!

Heather said...

That is so hilarious. I love the way that you write. I was just thinking about the awesome tacos we had at your house right before we moved....mmmmmm

Jayne said...

I've missed you! I ran into Heidi from el ed at church last Sunday! Made me miss our past life!